Saturday, August 9, 2008

MP3 players on the mad cheap.

I've learned that with electronics, you get what you pay for. Know your product.

Whenever I decide to buy something, I research it through websites that have ratings and reviews. It's all well and good to buy an mp3 player for $10, but if it has an internal battery that can't be changed out and tends to die, you just wasted your cash, buddy. If it runs on aaa batteries and sucks em dry every 6 hours, you'll spend your life recharging batteries or buying cheap batteries that don't even last THAT long. Know your product.

I'm a big fan of Creative Labs MP3 players. Yeah, ipod this and zune that. Uh-huh, if I wasn't poor, sure! *ahem* I mean "thrifty".

I'm not above snaking something on ebay in the last 20 seconds. Done it, had it done to me.
Being able to deal with returns.... not a big thing when you buy from ebay. It's easy to get hung out to dry.

I'm all about the factory refurbished. They made it, they oughta know how to fix it and shine it up real pretty....

http://us.creative.com/shop/shopcategory.asp?category=84

Or www.creativelabs.com go to shop, go to savings center

If you're considering a purchase, get on their mailing list and bide your time until they have a free shipping event or a way to get free shipping.

Right now they have a 20GB Dell DJ for $35. That's mad cheap.

They also have their 2gb Stone Plus for $25. Still mad cheap.

They have other models of the Stone, but unless it has a digital readout, you're wasting your money and won't be happy with your purchase. I'm not into the one with the speaker. Useless piece of swank, says I. One more thing to break or worry about. Pbbth! If I wanted to hear my kid's music, I'd be buying them stereos, not MP3 players.

The Stone Plus is light enough that I bought a lighter leash for $4 and attached the MP3 player to it by removing the lighter holder thing and attaching the MP3 player (with a little elastic band that came off some sneakers) to the bottom of the pulley. My kids can now clip their MP3 player to their belt loop and pull it up to their face so they can read the screen. Keeps it from dropping on the floor or getting set down and lost. For less than $5.

Personally, I think the video option for mp4's is a laugh. Raise your hand if you wanna go blind trying to watch crap on a 3 inch screen. It may have been ok for Dick Tracy's watch, but I've got other priorities than developing a "sexy" squint. (Crow's feet are HOT!) I'd rather spend the money on having more GB for music on my mp3 player than eating space with music videos.

If you can find a better 2gb MP3 player for $25, let me know.

The 20gb Dell DJ is one screaming heck of a deal. I bought one for our Lady when they were $50 at the site. She's a music buff and has a sick amount of music on her hard drive. She was sporting a 128MB MP3 player that she bought for $20 three years ago. She freaked out when she actually got it in her hot little hands. She loves it. It's got some heft to it, but it's not overly large. Go ahead, search Ebay for something with that many GB and see how much it's going for. Try an electronics superstore. Once you stop gaping at the screen and your heart rate returns to normal, you'll fall all over yourself trying to get to the Creative website. I promise.

Quantities are limited. They won't last forever. If you're going to hang onto it and give it as a Christmas present make sure to test it out first. That way if anything is wrong with it, you can have it replaced before the 90 day warranty gives out.

No comments: