Sunday, September 29, 2013

Homemade Pizza

I've been using my standard bread recipe to make pizza dough with. Mostly because I couldn't find any semolina flour that wasn't cost prohibitive - if I could find it at all.

Bingo! Finally found it.

When making this for the first time, I realized that the dough is crazy sticky. I looked at the glop in the mixing bowl and had doubts that I could reliably count to 2. A quick double check on my fingers assured me this was not the case - but the dough still looked funny to me. I put way more flour & semolina on the board than I'd usually use and worked the dough till it was mostly absorbed.  A good solid half cup or so.

Are you ready?

1 3/4 c warm water
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 packet Yeast (no it doesn't have to be the Pizza yeast packet)

Let the yeast get all foamy and happy.

Add in:
1 c Whole Wheat flour
1 1/2 c All Purpose White flour
1 c Semolina Flour
1 tsp Adobo Crillollo (Garlic salt..if you're gonna use salt why not one with a flavor)
1 Tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten 

Start the mixer on low/medium. Let it go for about 3 minutes then...

Add in:
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Italian Seasonings (I like my dough to be pretty)

Keep mixing for another 5 minutes or so. Let the doughy glop rest for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a seriously floured board. I used a mix of white and semolina. Knead the dough until it absorbs most of the flour. It should hold together nicely and be a little springy. Place your dough bomb into a greased bowl - spray it with more grease and let it rise for 30 mins.

** this dough is supposed to turn out better if it's left to sit in the fridge overnight. I dunno, never got a chance to let it.**

Punch it down and let it rise again while you gather your pizza fixings.

I use Hunt's Garlic and Herb tomato paste, straight outta the can as my pizza sauce. Yum!

This dough makes two medium pizzas. Cut it in half and roll it out as thin as you can get it without tearing it. Sauce it up and deck it out for nommage.

Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes.

No comments: