Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Xbox Frustration

When it comes to streaming via game system, Xbox is my go-to girl.

Baby, you gotta lick a little to the left. Just a smidge, cause you're almost there!

I've been dragging the tech boards to find out why the Youtube app keeps kicking me back to the start or flat out hating on me. I love to watch Will Wheaton's Table top, PewDiePie and Drunk Kitchen -among other gems in the YouTube Continuum. That gets tiring when you can only watch 2 minutes (if that) at a time before the app crashes. As I said, I went looking for answers.

Short Story -
You're boned. Wait it out, the geeky tech gurus will find a solution or the app will get fixed on the developer's end. Stop laughing, I'm serious. WAFO, bro.

How did I reach this conclusion?
First, I went LAN rather than WI-FI. The boards are full o' folks talking about how wi-fi is for guests, occasional users or tech (like tablets) that it is totally uncool to have tethered to a cord.  Ok, that's an $8 solution to my creative cursing. I like it. Let's try! Um... no fixee the problem.

Next, I read that you need to fine tune your MTU. (My what?) It's the Maximum Transmission Unit. Basically, how big the chunks of data are that flow through your router to your Xbox. I've got a Linksys EA2700 Smart Router, his name is Edgar and I love him. This is the link that helped me. If your chunks are too big, it causes problems. Too small and you're wasting the space you have available. Did it fix my problem? Nope.

Then I took a look at another board which told me how to further fine tune my router settings. Which also didn't work.

There was an Xbox Help answer that told me that doing speed tests on your Xbox does not give you an accurate accounting of how much bandwidth is being used. Basically, it no workee. Yeah, you'll get numbers - but they don't mean what you think they mean.

Another person mentioned that you can use the IE app to backdoor your way into YouTube. I was amazed! It worked even worse than the app - which is saying something. *grumble*

Conclusion?
Maybe my problem is partially due to my 3.0 MBPS speed and the amount of users I have, all eating bamwich at the same time.  Won't know until I can upgrade to 6.0. That's a monthly bill addition centered on a "maybe". Ummmm. If AT&T will let me upgrade, then I'll test it out. If not... wah-wah... staying boned and not liking it.




No comments: